What is CMW?
The CMW (Controls Middleware) service provides a communication infrastructure for all CERN accelerators, enabling client applications to connect, control and acquire data from all types of equipment. This is achieved via a common naming protocol called Device-Property Model and a set of common operations a client application can execute on any server, namely:
- get - acquire data from the server
- set - send data to the server
- subscribe - subscribe and receive asynchronous notifications with data from the server
Additionally, CMW service provides:
- software framework for developing client & server applications in C++ & Java
- several centrally managed services, required to run the distributed infrastructure, e.g.: Brokers, Proxies, Name Servers, Gateways, Authentication Servers